Top five reasons to register for the AAJA NY convention by 5 p.m. Tuesday
I know I’m one of the faithful members who would go to an AAJA convention even if it was in Detroit. (I did, and had a ball.) But I don’t represent all of you who are choosy about how to spend your hard-earned money and time. So here are five reasons why you should register for the AAJA Convention in New York, Aug. 21-24, before early-bird rates end Tuesday, April 17. Rates are $225 for pro members, and $100 for students until end of Tuesday.
Top Five Reasons to Register Now for the AAJA Convention
- It’s in New York, the media capital of the world. That means you’re going to meet editors and hiring managers you will not meet at another AAJA convention because it’s in their backyard. By the way, did you know you can upload a resume to AAJA’s online database and schedule meetings with three news companies of your choice before you even get to NY? It’s a great way to network even if you aren’t actively job searching.
- Programming is getting a makeover. I’ve seen a dramatic transformation in AAJA’s convention sessions over the past five years. It’s more relevant, it reflects a digital-first multiplatform mindset and it re-ignites the journalism flame within. This year that transformation is getting even more dramatic. There will be 5-minute Lightning Sessions. Attendees will vote, American Idol-style, on who will present some of the lineup. The pre-convention workshop lineup features an all-day Learn to Code workshop. Check out a sneak preview of workshop lineup: http://www.aaja.org/convention-workshop/
- It’s going to be big. AAJA expects 850 attendees!
- You know you’re going to regret not going when you see the tweets, Instagram photos and Facebook updates from New York.
- Did you know that the chapter that registers the largest percentage of its members will get 10 percent off convention registration for the 2014 AAJA convention?
Register now at http://www.aaja.org/nyc2013/
AAJA Seattle is also taking applications for the Founders Scholarship, which helps a student member go to the convention! Deadline is April 30. Apply here: http://www.aajaseattle.org/scholarships/
Rates will rise by $50 to $75 after Tuesday. Take the money you’ll save and come to dinner and karaoke with former AAJA VP George Kiriyama this Saturday, April 20. (Email me at email@example.com if you want to join us for either or both events.)
Comments are closed.